Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Relocated



Having lived in a particular place for over 28 years , I think I will call it my roots....so when time came for me to shoot out of these roots, I was um-mm excited! It was going to be adventurous, thrilling and ‘new’ in every sense of the term! After-all, how often do we get a chance to completely ‘start over’ in life? Is it something we want? dread?  easy? or for that matter worth it?Will I find this new place livable without any shred of my ‘previous’ life? what about family....can I begin a life without them? All this and more was on my mind... but the general tone was that of excitement. 

I had never lived away from home. never traveled outside India and it was my dream to live in an amazing, astounding, developed yet quaint place. Ireland is just that! I was ecstatic that me and hubby were relocating here. I couldn’t  have asked for more....

Ireland is beautiful....that is the first adjective that comes to mind. Its green, cold, wet, pollution-free (relatively) with great infrastructure. Living here was easy.

Coming from Bangalore, if I knew one thing like the back of my hand , it is the perturbing ‘T’ word ...‘traffic’. No, I don’t mean just the serpentine line of vehicles. For a Bangalorean, it means bikes and cars and buses and of course the jay-walkers, cutting you short and swearing at you because you inconvenience them by just being there on the road. It means incessant honking even before the red light turns amber, forget about it going green! Smoke, noise, and how can I ever forget the entourage of a single minister that uses the arterial road at the peak hour bringing the burgeoning  traffic to a grinding halt. Living in India made me used to a certain way of life that involved running from pillar to post to get the smallest of tasks like getting my damaged tablet replaced.

Naturally, I found Dublin organized. It was like the entire city is a ‘no-honking’ zone.Yes, it is a part of the ‘developed’ world, but that is not what makes it so ‘easy-to-live’. There is a sense of coming to a halt here. No, I don’t mean stagnant.... I mean relaxed and laid back.

This is exactly what me and especially my husband  needed, a break from time itself! Here the clock does not run your life. There is no hurry to gobble up your second morsel even before your tongue has tasted the first.

So, is Dublin an answer to what all humans are looking for? No. Like every place on  earth it has its own set of challenges. Sometimes the ‘relaxed’ borders on lazy and even inconvenient! Try shopping after 7:00 in the evening and you will know what I am talking about. And of course, ‘the great Indian palate’... well, there is hardly any restaurant here that will satisfy that!

What about the dreaded ‘R’ word....When the whole world is doing it, is Dublin an exception to racism? Unfortunately, no. Being a foreigner here has its repercussions. Is it Right? No. But does it happen anyway? Yes! However, it does not impede our lives and that is what makes life good here.

People here love life. Complete strangers saying 'hello' on the street, complimenting me on my bike, complaining about the cold was completely alien to me. I don’t know how they work but I know for a fact that they party real hard here. Come here on a dry and sunny day and you can see celebration and jubilant spirit in the air! Then again, it could be the sun or the extra pint of Guinness that lifts the ‘spirit’. After all its the Irish we are talking about!
Urooj Fathima

5 comments:

  1. “For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else.”... nice portrait of ur experience in Dublin TC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellently written! Your writing leaves me thirsty for more!!! More! More! More!
    To be honest, your writing skills leave many professionals miles behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ma'am. I don't think you remember me but I was browsing through my Facebook page and I found your blog. It's good to know that you are happy in Ireland. I have read a lot of novels set in Ireland and can almost relate to your feeling of change. Yes, I would agree that Dublin being a developed country doesn't make it necessarily easy to live in. The transition, from living in a developing state and moving to a developed state is not easy. We notice every new detail of the new life and compare it to our old ones.
    I enjoyed reading your blog!!!! And I will keep reading more!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Susanna! Of course I remember you!
    Glad that you enjoy reading my blog. Your observation on the transition of life is very true and deep. Continue posting your views and thoughts. I would love to read them :)

    ReplyDelete